White Collar Criminal Defense & Government Investigations
Internal Corporate Investigations
Health Care issues
March 1995 - June 2012
Providence, Rhode Island
Lead prosecutor in complex white-collar crime cases. Served as Senior Litigation Counsel and Coordinator of Intellectual Property Enforcement; Computer and Telecommunications Crimes; Corporate Fraud and Economic Crimes. Spearheaded many of Rhode Island's most significant legal cases.
• US v. Google Inc.: Lead attorney in the investigation and prosecution of Google Inc. for knowingly assisting pharmacy AdWords advertisers to illegally import drugs into the U.S. and to sell drugs without required prescriptions. Negotiated a $500 million criminal forfeiture, one of the largest criminal forfeitures in the U.S.
• US v. Mariano: Investigation and indictment of a senior program officer for the Naval Undersea Warfare Center involving alleged kickbacks of millions of dollars that were funneled through subcontractors on various Navy contracts.
• US v. Hatch: Guilty verdict following the high profile trial of Richard Hatch, winner of the NBC “Survivor” show, for failure to report income.
• US v. Oliviera: Worked with the Motion Picture Association of America in the successful prosecution of a case involving the importation and distribution of thousands of counterfeit DVDs from China and Malaysia.
• US v. Giordano: Successful equity skimming prosecution of the owner of three nursing homes that received multi-million dollar HUD insured mortgage loans.
June 1987 - March 1995
Focused on the litigation of complicated narcotics, economic crime and public corruption cases, including the first use of the RICO statute against a Jamaican criminal organization, the “Shower Posse”.
March 1982 - June 1987
St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
Prosecuted serious violent felonies, including the successful rape prosecution of a high-ranking police officer.
March 1975 - March 1982
Litigated public corruption cases throughout the United States.